If you’re looking for a highly resistant yet not-terrible-expensive full-face snorkel mask, look no further than the one made by Octobermoon.
The fact is that not many snorkeling masks can compare to the Octobermoon in terms of quality and even fewer when it comes to its unique design. These are just two of these reasons that helped the Octobermoon become a favorite among amateur and professional snorkeling enthusiasts alike.
It’s no surprise that this mask made it to our list of best full face snorkel masks, together with the WildHorn Seaview, the Ocean Reef Aria and the TriBord Easybreath models. This review will cover everything you need to know about this mask but first, let’s talk a bit about why you should use a full-face snorkel mask to begin with.
In case you have a more urgent question, please refer to the table of content below, otherwise, stick with us throughout the whole review.
Table of Contents
- A Few Reasons to Use a Full-Face Snorkel Mask
- What Makes the Octobermoon Mask So Special Compared to Others?
- Frame & Skirt Made of Top-Quality Materials
- Lens That Does Not Distort the Vision
- Dry Snorkel Which Stops the Water from Getting Inside the Mask
- Purge Valve Adds to the Safety
- Airflow System That Prevents Fogging
- Lightweight Mask, Super-Comfy to Wear
- Adjustable Straps Will Keep the Mask in Place While Not making You Feel Uncomfortable
- Different Colors to Choose From
- Different Sizes Available, So That You Can Choose the One that Fits Perfectly
- How to Pick a Full-Face Snorkel Mask That Perfectly Fits You
- Should You Buy Octobermoon Full Face Snorkeling Mask?
- Other snorkeling gear highly recommended for beginners
A Few Reasons to Use a Full-Face Snorkel Mask
Mask and mouthpiece combos are all fine and dandy but full-face masks have a number of very useful benefits that regular masks simply cannot offer. Some of the benefits include:
· Less fogging – Full-face snorkel masks come equipped with breather chambers that are separate from the rest of the mask. This allows the user to breathe freely without having to worry about fogging the lens. Some fogging may still occur but to a much lesser extent than with a regular mask.
· Better field of vision – These types of masks are designed to offer a 180° field of vision, which leads to much better visibility underwater when compared to regular masks.
· No gagging – Not having to worry about holding on to a mouthpiece all the time will allow you to breathe freely through your mouth and nose while underwater.
· No jaw fatigue – Jaw fatigue might not become a problem during short diving sessions but you will definitely start to notice some fatigue if you stay submerged for longer periods of time. There’s no mouthpiece with a full-face mask and that means jaw fatigue will never become an issue.
Full-face masks are also carefully designed to prevent water from entering the snorkel. This is achieved thanks to a very simple mechanism comprised of a float ball that stops the water from entering if the snorkel happens to get submerged. As an added precaution, the mask also comes equipped with a valve that drains the water once the snorkel is no longer submerged.
What Makes the Octobermoon Mask So Special Compared to Others?
Octobermoon immediately stands out from the crowd thanks to its futuristic design. The design is both visually appealing and practical so expect plenty of nice features. The mask never leaks thanks to its very robust construction, which also makes it shatterproof.
Meanwhile, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a mask that offers a better field of vision than the Octobermoon. With this mask, you also don’t have to worry about any water getting in because the Octobermoon features a separate air flow chamber.
Frame & Skirt Made of Top-Quality Materials
The mask’s frame is built using highly durable polypropylene while the skirt uses high-quality silicone. Octobermoon is able to easily accommodate all types of faces thanks to the silicone so don’t worry about your face being too wide or too narrow for this mask. Octobermoon is a one-size-fits-all solution.
Lens That Does Not Distort the Vision
The mask comes equipped with a flat lens built using shatterproof polycarbonate material. Unlike round lenses, the flat ones don’t distort the user’s field of view so expect to be able to enjoy all the beautiful underwater scenery while submerged.
Dry Snorkel Which Stops the Water from Getting Inside the Mask
Much like the lens, the snorkel is also made of highly resistant polycarbonate material. The snorkel can also be detached for easy cleaning and features a Splash Guard that prevents water from entering the tube.
Purge Valve Adds to the Safety
A small valve can be found in the chin area and is there as an additional safety measure. If water manages to somehow reach the interior of the mask, this valve will allow it to quickly drain out once the wearer’s head emerges from the water. As an added benefit, you also won’t have to worry about draining the mask or snorkel yourself because the Octobermoon does all the work for you.
Airflow System That Prevents Fogging
Octobermoon’s airflow system incorporates a separate breathing chamber that allows the wearer to breathe through the mouth and noise without having to worry about fogging issues. As mentioned before, this mask does not get easily fogged and it’s all thanks to this special airflow system.
Lightweight Mask, Super-Comfy to Wear
Octobermoon’s weight is just over a pound, which makes it one of the lightest full-face snorkel masks currently available on the market.
Adjustable Straps Will Keep the Mask in Place While Not making You Feel Uncomfortable
The mask comes with adjustable straps that are both soft and sturdy. The last thing you want while underwater is to feel any sort of pressure because of the straps so make sure to adjust them to your liking before jumping in.
Different Colors to Choose From
The Octobermoon is available in a wide range of colors. These include green, pink, black, blue, and blue kids. In addition, there’s also two-color variants like blue/white and pink/white.
Different Sizes Available, So That You Can Choose the One that Fits Perfectly
The mask comes in three sizes: XS, S – M, and L – XL. Don’t forget that Octobermoon also has adjustable straps so finding the perfect fit should not be a problem.
How to Pick a Full-Face Snorkel Mask That Perfectly Fits You
Choosing a mask that’s just the right size for your face is crucial. A mask that’s too small will be very uncomfortable to wear for any period of time while one that’s too big will allow water to sip into the mask, which is a major safety issue. In short, the mask needs to fit perfectly.
The XS size is usually recommended for children but can sometimes also be suitable for adults with fairly small faces. XS works best for faces where the length between the nose bridge and the chin is 8.5 – 10 cm (3.35 – 3.94 inches)
The S/M size is suitable for the vast majority of adults. In this case, the length between the bridge of the nose and the chin should be 10 – 12 cm (3.94 – 4.7 inches)
Finally, the L/XL size is meant for adults who don’t quite fit the S/M profile. Pick this size if the length between the nose-bridge and chin is more than 12 cm (4.7 inches)
Should You Buy Octobermoon Full Face Snorkeling Mask?
There’s no argue that Octobermoon full-face mask is one of the best snorkeling masks you can find on today’s market. But, is it actually the best choice you can make? Well, it all depends on your preferences. Perhaps going through its pros and cons is going to help you make your decision!
As you can see, by comparing the pros and cons of this mask we must conclude that it’s definitely worth buying. And considering that its price does not make it stand out from similar products, we can say that this mask is pretty affordable, so you really have no reason not to get it.